Environmental & Energy Policy
Aegean Shipping Management S.A. (A.S.M.) is a shipping Company specializing in the safe, reliable, cost effective and efficient water borne transportation of oil & liquid cargoes.
The Company is committed to the protection of the environment and shall strive for continual performance improvement to every aspect, including pollution prevention. The Company’s EMS emphasizes source reduction, including funding and human resources necessary to effectively maintain and repair the systems, equipment and components found in machinery spaces of the vessels.
A.S.M. is fully committed to a ZERO TOLERANCE policy ensuring that the environment (water & atmosphere) on which its ships operate are protected from pollution and continuously strive to identify and correct any conditions perceived to be unsafe and hazardous to the environment.
A.S.M. shall communicate effectively and cooperate with our charterers, vessels, and regulatory bodies; between departments; and with all crew and shore-based personnel.
All personnel of A.S.M. implement and maintain the EMS in order to continuously improve the Company’s performance with respect to the environment. The company implements Environmental programs and appropriate protective measures to control risks.
All A.S.M. personnel and Senior Officers, whether ashore supporting our ships or at sea working onboard, will actively work to prevent unsafe acts and damage to the environment and they should lead by example complying with environmental practices and procedures.
A.S.M. management recognizes that all shore based and shipboard activities have some impact on the environment. As part of the management system, we set objectives and targets for environmental improvements on a continuous basis, and we implement best available technology/best environmental practice where technically and economically feasible.
We also conduct training to improve environmental awareness and we improve operational procedures to ensure our targets are met. Fleet-wide environmental objectives and targets are set annually and programs are initiated to meet the targets set.
In addition to fleet-wide environmental targets, all our vessels are subject to annual reviews of environmental impacts and on this basis, we set vessel specific targets for environmental improvements.
Examples of such targets and achievements include fuel savings, controlled use of ecofriendly chemicals, garbage segregation, waste minimization, environmental awareness, recycling programs and energy reduction initiatives.
ASM’s environmental and Energy policy includes:
In all our activities and operations, we will:
- Promote Environmental excellence.
- Comply fully with all maritime environmental requirements established under applicable international, flag state, and port state law and all applicable federal and state statutes and regulations
- Implement an environmental management system on all ships and in the office
- Review our Environmental and Energy Aspects and objectives on a regular basis
- Provide for the continuous improvement in environmental performance
- Promote environmental awareness through the training and education of our employees; communicate our environmental aspects and subsequent environmental management program and targets to all Office employees and ensure that they have clear understanding of those.
- Provide a framework for managing waste in accordance with the applicable legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Support the purchase of energy efficient products and services, and where applicable supports design energy efficiency improvements.
- Set the framework for familiarising all company personnel with this policy
- Promote environmental-friendly technologies, materials, goods and services within the company and towards our stakeholders.
- Make efforts to minimize the effect of shipping-related incidents and accidents and reduce the environmental risks
- Respond quickly and effectively to environmental incidents resulting from its operations, in co-operation with industry organizations and authorized government agencies
- Consider Environment as a top priority in our business decisions; All operations will be properly supervised and environmental protection will be an integral part of all planning and procedures. Management will respond positively to recommendations from both shore and sea staffs that identify the changes in policy, practices or equipment necessary to improve standards
- When considering new business or work methods, undertake a full assessment of all environmental aspects and targets, to ensure that the standards required by this Policy are maintained or surpassed.
- Manage our business with the goal of preventing environmental incidents and of controlling emissions and waste streams.
- Take appropriate action, including immediate dismissal when appropriate, against any employee who obstructs, hinders or presents false information or makes false statements during any inspection, monitoring, or auditing of Company policies.
- Prohibit any incentive or bonus programs based on minimizing operational costs associated with the operation, maintenance or repair of machinery space systems, equipment and components, including pollution prevention equipment, to ensure that employees do not seek to avoid such costs and thereby sacrifice environmental compliance.
- Communicate this Environmental and Energy Policy to the public and share information on environmental performance with subcontractors, contractors and partners.
The Company is committed to providing all necessary resources required to achieve the goals set forth in this Environmental and Energy Policy Statement.
- The personal effort of each individual to achieve the goals of this Policy Statement is an integral part of his or her expected work Environmental performance.
- Company’s personnel ashore and onboard who fail to comply with this Policy shall be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of services.
- All Company’s personnel, both shore-side and aboard, shall NOT retaliate against, or in any way employ adverse treatment of, a subordinate, co-worker, employee or crew member for their reporting of any violation of this Environmental and Energy Policy.
- Failure to notify the Company of a violation of the EMS, or other environmental protection policy, law or requirement is grounds for discipline and/or dismissal.
Aegean Shipping Management S.A. has a strong core belief in sustainable shipping in the future, and is actively taking steps towards reducing emissions and pollutions today.
We are constantly looking into improving the ship operations and thus minimizing the environmental foot print.
The Company is ISO 14001 compliant, providing all necessary resources (e.g. technical, financial and human resources) to ensure all environmental objectives are achieved. The Company also makes every effort to ensure its contractors employ the standards and procedures necessary to comply with this Environmental and Energy Policy.
This policy is (a) subject to annual review during Management meeting and in view of changing legal requirements, stakeholder’s expectations and company’s operations, and (b) is to be displayed on all vessels managed by Aegean Shipping Management S.A. and in the Company’s headquarters.